Our goal is to make Paradise Valley the best project possible by following the rigorous standards and processes set forth by the County of Riverside and the Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan (MSHCP). We’re doing our planning in two phases: 1) programmatic (early, high-level concept), and 2) project-level (detailed enough to start building).

Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan

The MSHCP is a regional conservation plan designed to balance planned growth with the natural environment within Riverside County.

The MSHCP was written with the understanding that 8% of the lands within an area’s boundary could be developed and the other 92% would be conserved as natural open space.

About the JPR

The Joint Project Review (JPR) process ensures that development projects adhere to the standards of the MSHCP. The MSHCP requires a JPR for projects that will result in Take of species or disturbance to habitat, natural communities, biological corridor, or essential ecological processes, which is described in Section Joint Project Review Process within Conservation Areas:

For purposes of overseeing compliance with the requirements of the MSHCP and the IA, a Joint Project Review Process shall be instituted by CVCC for all projects under the Local Permittees’ jurisdiction in a Conservation Area that would result in disturbance to Habitat, natural communities, Biological Corridors, or Essential Ecological Processes.

Programmatic vs. project entitlements

As a programmatic plan, the Paradise Valley Specific Plan (PVSP) is designed to shape and set the development standards for Paradise Valley. Programmatic plans are legislative entitlements which do not permit Take of species or disturbance of habitat. These programmatic approvals precede project level entitlements. Most importantly, the PVSP—as a programmatic plan—will not and cannot result in any construction or ground disturbance until project level entitlements are granted. Those project level entitlements will require further environmental review and a complete JPR process.



Programmatic Entitlements

  • Do not authorize construction or other ground disturbance; therefore the JPR process is not required in this phase.
  • MSHCP consistency analysis is provided in the Environmental Impact Report.
  • The Environmental Impact Report concluded that the project is consistent with the MSHCP.



Future Project Level Entitlements

  • Do authorize construction or ground disturbance; therefore a JPR process will be required for these project level approvals.
Programmatic entitlement process
Project level entitlement process

Programmatic vs. Project-level entitlement processes. Click image to enlarge or click here to download them as a single PDF.

Moving forward

We are committed to completing a JPR during the Project-level Entitlement Phase. In fact, a mitigation measure and project condition will require that JPRs be conducted for project level entitlements. In the meantime, the Programmatic Entitlements merely establish the land use designations and zoning for the project area.

Paradise Valley Process Timeline